Applications for the 2019 scholarship intake are now open. Applications will close on 18 January 2019.
The Rio Tinto Indigenous Scholarship programme is aimed at supporting Indigenous people who are studying at a tertiary (university – bachelor degree or higher) level. The programme is a direct result of the shared commitment between Rio Tinto and Aboriginal groups within the area of operations in the Pilbara.
The Rio Tinto Indigenous Scholarship programme aims to:
- Benefit Indigenous people, in particular those belonging to Traditional Owner groups in area of operations within the Pilbara
- Support Indigenous people in successfully completing tertiary studies
- Provide a pipeline opportunity of tertiary-qualified Indigenous people for employment at Rio Tinto
- Contribute towards the sustainable development of the Pilbara region
Indigenous people who are recognised outside of the Pilbara area of operations are also eligible to apply.
To be eligible for a Rio Tinto Indigenous Scholarship you must:
- Be an Australian resident
- Be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander decent
- Be able to provide evidence of your Indigenous identity by means of recognition with a ‘common seal’ from the relevant Indigenous group
- Meet Australian Taxation Office (ATO) requirements ensuring the funds provided are tax exempt by:
- The individual must be a full-time student
- The individual must be enrolled at a Western Australian university
- The individual must not be required to be an employee as a condition of their scholarship
- The individual must not be contracted wholly or principally for their labour
- The individual must not be required to provide personal services now or in the future
- The scholarship must be principally for educational purposes
- If a scholar does not meet the ATO requirements they are responsible for ensuring appropriate individual taxation advice is sought on their behalf
- Demonstrate strong academic achievement and potential
Download the 2019 application form
For more information, please download the information sheet or email us.