The majority of salt we produce is used by the chemical industry for production of Chlorine, Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda) and Sodium Carbonate (Soda Ash). These chemicals are then used in the processing and manufacturing of other products across the automotive, construction and electronic industries.
A smaller percentage of our salt is used in food processing and some for de-icing of roads in winter.
The main uses of our salt include:
- chlorine based plastics such as PVC and polyurethane
- glass where soda ash added to the glass lowers the melting temperature
- detergents and soaps contain soda ash or caustic soda
- textiles use caustic soda to break down plant fibres, chlorine to bleach cloth and salt to fix some dye colours
- industrial chemicals such as hypochlorite bleach, plastic pre-cursor chemicals and caustic soda
- food processing
- road de-icing by lowering the freezing point of ice on the roads