We value education as critical to a productive, active and informed society and support learning initiatives from birth to adulthood. Opportunities for education at every stage of life are the key to life-long success for every West Australian. Education is key to developing a skilled and innovative workforce and to ensuring a strong economic outlook in Western Australia
Our education key areas include:
- Early childhood development
- Literacy and numeracy
- Innovation and creativity
- Educator leadership and development
- Post-secondary education and training
During 2014, highlights within the education area included:
- Long-term community partner Scitech launched Rio Tinto Innovation Central in November, as part of our renewed five-year $3.5 million partnership. The 300 square metre exhibition will be housed at Scitech’s City West facility for the next five years and provides opportunities for visitors to explore the process of innovation through a range of ever-changing exhibits.
- We committed $2.7 million to our renewed three-year partnership with The Graham (Polly) Farmer Foundation, continuing support of the Follow the Dream/Partnerships for Success programme, which has helped almost 650 students go on to University, apprenticeships, and traineeships or straight into the workplace, since it started in 1997.
- In 2014 we invested $416,000 into the Rio Tinto Aboriginal Scholarship programme which provided support for 31 Aboriginal students to study at university. In 2014 seven of these scholars graduated and, of these, three are now employed by Rio Tinto in graduate roles. We also employed an additional two Aboriginal graduates through other programmes. Since inception, the support provided by the programme has enabled Pilbara Aboriginal people and Aboriginal people from other areas to further their education through university studies in disciplines of engineering, medicine, nursing, geology, health and safety, business, commerce and law.
Our support is provided across five key priority areas - education, health, culture, environment and regional sustainability.