Projects and operations

Projects and operations

Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinée (CBG)

Founded in 1963, Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinée (CBG) is Guinea’s largest company and the world’s second largest bauxite producer.

With approximately 2,400 employees, the Company exploits the world-class Sangarédi bauxite deposit in northwestern Guinea, recognised for its rich ore body containing more than 50 per cent alumina. CBG exports a total of about 15.2 million tonnes of high-grade bauxite annually.

The Government of Guinea holds a 49 per cent equity stake in CBG, with the remaining 51 per cent held by Halco Mining, a joint venture owned by Rio Tinto (46 per cent), Alcoa (46 per cent) and Dadco (8 per cent).

For more information on CBG, please visit: www.cbg-guinee.com

Simandou Project

The Simandou Project is currently the largest planned integrated mining and infrastructure development contemplated in Africa, with an expansive scope representing integrated mine, rail, port and ancillary infrastructure.

Rio Tinto Foundation

The Rio Tinto Foundation is a Guinea-based non-profit development organisation. The Foundation and its projects receive funding from Rio Tinto and from other donor agencies. Its mission is to deliver high-impact, low-cost, socio-economic development projects that are sustainable and reproducible in partnership with specialist institutions and sponsors. For more information, please visit: www.fondationriotinto.org.